Starting a Small Business : Step 4 Get a Business Phone Number
Last week we looked at how to get a business address. This week we will look at step 4 of the Small Business Administrations checklist for starting a business getting a business phone number and why that is important.
Why Can't I Use My Personal Cell Phone Number?
There are a couple of reasons it is essential to have a separate business number.
- Having separation between your business and personal life is essential. As a small business owner, the two will bleed together enough so when you can, choose to separate them.
- As your business continues to grow, you may want to hire someone to answer the phone for you, and by having a separate business phone number from the start, you can hand it off to them without having to confuse your friends and family by getting a new number.
Am I going to have to carry two separate phones around with me?
Only if you want. There are several ways to get a business phone number and one of those, of course, is getting another cell phone. What I recommend is getting a google voice number. Here is why I like google voice as a business phone number option.
- You pick the phone number based on a geographical location.
- You can forward the calls to any phone number you want.
- They automatically transcribe voicemail messages at no extra cost.
- You can answer phone calls and text messages from any computer
- For a small fee, you can get additional phone numbers if needed.
Having a separate business phone number provides separation between your personal life and business life and prepares your business for growth. If you have any thoughts or questions feel free to leave a comment below or contact us below, we would love to help you set up your small business or help you grow your small business.